The EZIRE maintains diverse cooperations with institutions of the Friedrich-Alexander University and universities in Germany and Europe.
Cooperations within the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
Professor Dr. Rohe, Director of EZIRE, also Director of the Centre for Turkish Law at the Law Faculty of the Friedrich-Alexander University. Managing Director is EZIRE-employee Dr. Ali Yarayan. The Research Centre for Turkish Law was established in November 2013.
The EZIRE participates in the teachings of the master’s programme Middle Eastern Studies. Dr. Jörn Thielmann, Managing Director of the EZIRE, coordinates the programme since the winter semester 2013/2014.
The EZIRE participates in the new bachelor’s degree programme “Islamic Religious Studies”, which is part of the courses offered at the FAU since the winter semester 2012/2013. Furthermore, the EZIRE is involved since the winter semester 2015/2016 in the master’s programmes “Islamic Religious Studies” and “Media – Ethics – Religion” with focus on “Islam and media”. In addition, the EZIRE holds joint conferences with the DIRS.
The EZIRE conducts joint courses and research projects as well as the organization of scientific symposia with the Department of Geography, in particular with the Chair for Cultural Geography and Orient Research under Prof. Dr. Georg Glasze.
The Volkswagen Foundation supports the project “The Struggle over Identity, Morality and Public Space in Middle Eastern Cities” (duration 2015-2018), which was developed by the EZIRE in cooperation with the Chair of Contemporary History/Political Science of the Near and Middle East (Prof. Dr. Schumann †) and the Department of Geography.
The EZIRE participates actively in the section “Middle East” of the Central Institute for Area Studies. Dr. Jörn Thielmann, Managing Director of the EZIRE, was elected in the summer semester 2015 as the speaker for the section “Middle East”.
The EZIRE cooperates with the Central Institute Anthropology of Religions (ZAR), including organizing and conducting conferences. The Director of the EZIRE, Prof. Dr. Mathias Rohe, is a member of the collegial management of the ZAR.
The EZIRE cooperates with the Centre for Euro-Oriental Studies (CEOS), founded in June 2016. Founder members of CEOS are professors and research assistants of FAU, among them Prof. Dr. Mathias Rohe, Director of EZIRE, and Dr. Jörn Thielmann, Managing Director of EZIRE.
Cooperation with other universities
The EZIRE participates in the organization of the Bavarian Orient Colloquium (BOK). The BOK is a joint lecture series of the universities Erlangen-Nuremberg and Bamberg. The speakers – many of them will be invited from abroad – report on orient specific topics. In the winter semester, the BOK takes place at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, and is held during the summer semester at the University of Bamberg. The BOK has existed since 1985 and is funded since 1989 by the Bavarian State Ministry of Sciences, Research and Arts.
The EZIRE in scientific specialists and professional organizations
Members of EZIRE are represented in the following scientific experts and professional associations:
- Deutsche Arbeitsgemeinschaft Vorderer Orient für gegenwartsbezogene Forschung und Dokumentation (DAVO)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Demographie (DGD)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Völkerkunde (DGV)
- Deutsche Morgenländische Gesellschaft (DMG)
- Deutsch-Türkische Juristenvereinigung (DTJV)
- Deutsche Vereinigung für Politikwissenschaft (DVPW)
- Deutsche Vereinigung für Religionswissenschaft (DVRW)
- European Society for Intercultural Theology and Interreligious Studies (ESITIS)
- Gesellschaft für Arabisches und Islamisches Recht (GAIR)
- Gesellschaft für Rechtsvergleichung
- International Academy of Comparative Law
- International Institute of Advanced Islamic Studies (IAIS) Malaysia
- Juristische Gesellschaft Mittelfranken zu Nürnberg
- Kuratorium der muslimischen Akademie
- Kuratorium des Nah- und Mittelostvereins (NuMOV)
- Middle East Studies Association (MESA)
- Rat für Migration (RfM)
- Sektion Religionssoziologie der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Soziologie (DGS)
- Wissenschaftliche Vereinigung für Internationales Verfahrensrecht